10.11.2017

What is wrong with what I said?




I came across this video linked here.
And I loved it. Watch it.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

So flash back.

I am 13 years old.
I had just moved from California to Colorado.
I'm new in school and I know no one.
The girls from church hardly talk to me.
My sister is in high school and I am in 7th grade.

I am sitting in the school counselor's office.
Crying.
I had just been told to F*** off by a girl in my class.
The counselor asked me what happened.

 What happened?!
It wasn't just one instance. 
This had happened before.
and before.
and before.

Fat. Ugly. Bossy. Bitchy.
I got them all.


The reason this video stood out to me was because it happened to me.

Girl- "Hey Emily."
Me- "What's up?"
Girl- "You must really like dessert."
Me- "Why do you say that?"
*laughing*
Me- "Uh...."
Girl- "I just feel like out of all of us, you would like dessert most."
Me- "Are you calling me fat?"
*more laughing*

I get mad. Like really mad. She says F*** off and I'm sitting in the counselor's office.
I tell her what happened.
She looks at me and says, "I'm sure she wasn't calling you fat. I wouldn't worry about it too much."
I get sent back to class.

People are getting conversation started about Mental Illness which I advocate HARD CORE for, but body shaming and bullying has always been a part of the conversation and yet, I feel like no one listens.

This isn't about calling people fat. It's about making anyone FEEL LESS about themselves because of the their outward appearance.


"For All Mankind" by Liz Lemon Swindle  Jesus loves the little children. All the children of the world...

Spencer W. Kimball said,
 “Let there be no question in your mind about your value as an individual. The whole intent of the gospel plan is to provide an opportunity for each of you to reach your fullest potential, which is eternal progression and the possibility of godhood.”


It is now 10 years later and I can still remember the stinging pangs that those words had on me as if it had just happened, but it doesn't last. I have felt the cleansing power of the Atonement of Jesus Christ wash over me and take those pains away.  

But I am not the only victim. 
It is our responsibility to help others feel and see that they are worth all the love in the entire world. They deserve the high praise just for BEING. 

This is just one of those things that I feel very passionate about...
Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment